Monday, February 16, 2009

Ireland lapbook

Tuesday
February 17, 2009

I enjoy looking at other people's blogs and seeing the massive amount of creativity and talent out there. I came across the idea of lapbooks last week. I think it's absolutely brilliant! So, the quest began. My husband's parents are from Ireland. His mom was one of six children, all girls. The only one to move to America. His parents came here in the 60's. I thought since St. Patrick's Day is the next holiday what a fun first book to make to share Meara's heritage with her!



Number matching on both inside flaps 1-10 with a pocket at the bottom of each to hold the numbers.

Flip ups for bagpipes, Cliffs of Moher, leprechaun, and unicorn

Six different Irish blessings


I made upper and lower case letters in Word. I taped a piece of file folder to the top to flip up for letter matching. There is a pocket at the right hand bottom corner that holds the lower case cards.


The matching lower case letters


I found a pot of gold clip art that I liked. I made copies of it and numbers 1-20 so Meara can practice counting.

Size order shamrocks activity


A pocket on the back to hold the size order shamrocks, numbers and pots of gold.

You can find some of the documents I created for this lapbook here.

14 comments:

Jolanthe said...

Looks great! (and like you put a lot of work into it!).

Hope you enjoy it together!!

SomerJane at Daisys and Diggers Blog said...

Wow thats in depth!
Looks like it has a lot of learning packed in and not just about heritage...I hope you guys have fun using it!
It turned out great!

Lisa said...

Wow, what an adorable concept. Being a former teacher, I have never seen such a cute activity that packs so much learning into one item. I will be stealing this idea for sure!!!

jennwa said...

I really love that folder. It is great to have so many different activities for St Patrick's Day. I think we will be doing at least 2 of those activities.
Thanks for sharing and linking.
Have a great weekend.

Frugal Sara said...

This is great! You did a wonderful job! I love lapbooks. We just started making them in the last few months.

Christie said...

Wow. That is awesome. I should look into that as I keep saying that the whole "Irish" thing means a lot to my family and therefore I've got to pass it on!

Bran said...

WOW! You put so much thought and time into that! I would love any documents that you are willing to share. branflakes127@gmail.com
Thanks

Sandy said...

That's awesome!

annies home said...

we love lapbooks and another thing we have completed for st patricks day is a trap to catch us a leprecaun. SO fun

Amy Boike said...

Hi Heather! Your blog is great! I love all the great ideas you have used! Meara is a lucky little girl to have a momma who is so creative! :) We are looking forward to Friday's co-op! Lord willing, my husband plans to take off a day of work and go with us Friday. The kids have talked non-stop about the great things they did and they want Daddy to see! :)
Hope to see you Friday! ~Amy

SomerJane at Daisys and Diggers Blog said...

HEY LADY!!

It been a month since your last blog...

GET TO WORK!!

ha ha ha

Love ya! SJ

Pam said...

Heather,
I would love it if you would share your tempaltes and info with me. I have my Vaughn who is 4 and Todd who is 6 and they both will find value in many aspects of your lapbook. I have been searching the Internet and taking bits nad pieces from various websites to create an Irelnd/St. Patrick's Day lapbook. It has been a chore! Thanks for your inspiration!
Pam S. _ RI

Heather said...

Pam,
I would LOVE to share my lapbook information w/ you. If you will send me your email address I will share it w/ you!!! ;-)

mean green mom said...

This is wonderful! I am definitly inspired to do something like this next year.